Tuesday, November 22, 2005

On Being Grateful

This is an account of a wife who was left behind by her husband for 3 days! (mwahaha, OA noh?)
You see, since we got married in 2001 or even before that (9 years earlier), we have never been apart. The rare times that we 'separated' was during hubby's short 1-week work-related trip to Malaysia, and another shorter 5-day trip in November last year when he accompanied Aunt Lina to Oras.
So when I learned that he's off to Bangkok, I made the effort to search for low fares as early as September, hoping that i'd be able to squeeze in (ha ha!). The PAL round-trip was just around P13T that time, but when I got back several days later, the rates escalated to a whooping P22T! I just realized that it was peak season 'coz of the SEA Games here in Manila (grrr!). Because of that, husband was not able to get a Nov. 19 return booking, what with the many delegates coming over.
The new rates being over the budget, I had to beg off. Ok fine.
Hubby said the Rama Gardens were he was billeted was rather imnpressive, better than Hilton, true to its 'hotel in a resort' subtitle. On the 19th, he took a chance flight back to Manila but had to shell out a few dollars for that. He could have just galivant around Bangkok considering that the remaining 4 days at the hotel have been paid, but he chose to go home. Aaaws, that's sweeet.
He had for me a pair of gold dangling earrings which he placed in a fancy jewel box. Bad as it may sound, but I'm not an earrings person. I was hoping for gold bangles, but he didn't remember (haaay). And because I'm such a brat, I went like arrrrgh instead of being grateful.
I soon realized my bad, and really felt sorry. So from the office, in order to make up, I bought him a slice each of sans rival, fudge cake, banana cake & an ube ensaymada at the newly-opened, neigborhood bakeshop, Ella's. To my surprise & embarrasment (haay, torture ito!), he was already home & on our dining table lay a beautiful box of Aggy's brownies. I just hugged him.
Anyway, I just learned another lesson. I realized the importance of being grateful for whatever comes your way.
Speaking of being grateful, hubby said that at the Bangkok airport, an old man claimimg to be a Singaporean approached and told him that he dropped his wallet! The old man patiently compared every human face at the airport w/ husband's ID in the wallet. When the man handed him his wallet, he embraced the good fellow with utter happiness. Oh I thought, thanks heavens for that honest to goodness man. I wish he had at least an email address so we culd have thanked him endlessly, but he don't have.
Now, that's another thing to be grateful about.

No comments: