Saturday, October 08, 2005

October - The Rosary Month


I love Octobers! I really don't know why....ok, maybe it's because Tatay's bday is in Oct. 3, my first ever nephew, Anjo's bday falls on Oct. 14; October also means going home to Oras for the fiesta, and yes, it now means looking forward to celebrating our wedding annivesary!
I also grew up in a family which prays the rosary as the clock ticks 6pm, even before the adage that "the family that prays together, stays together" became a by-word. And so when my bf then, suggested that we marry in October because it's one perfect month to gather our families, I thought the better reason would be because it's the rosary month, and the rosary means perpetual grace. I am also used to being secured with my rosary beads in handy & putting it beneath my pillow when I sleep. When my mother-in-law gave me luminous rosary beads as her wedding gift, I was ecstatic not only because I think of it as lucky to receive one (rather than buy one for yourself), but also because I feel special since that was also just given to her by her sister-nun. Unfortunately though, I lost it & haven't received a replacement yet *sigh*.
In Fr. Jerry Orbos' column, he wrote about praying the rosary in this context "A folly maybe to some, but the lowly rosary is very powerful. Never understimate the power of the prayer. Pray on. Pray without ceasing. Pray desperately". And since it's the rosary month, our office was 'home' to a statue of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary yesterday. Our makeshift altar was adorned with flowers taken from the hospital garden & I made a little artsy thing to serve as backdrop. I think hubby would have done a really better version, but hey, I'm sure Mama Mary wouldn't mind. Don't you think?

No comments: